May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Like many mammals, I love my mother [or mutti, as I called her to the chagrin of my 2nd year German teacher]. I have many memories--some bad, some good, and the rest I've forgotten.

My mutti when she was around my age.
For Mother's Day I'd like to tell you one of my favorite recollections of my mother.

Despite the driving age in my home state being 14, my parents wouldn't let me drive. In high school I had school friends, but no afternoon, weekend, hangout, phone call, or cruising around friends. This meant I read a lot, had nothing to be grounded from, and mostly hung out with my mom cooking or watching Lifetime and Hallmark movies.

But when it came to boys, I had a crush on the beautiful ginger son of my 5th grade daycare teacher. He was three years older than me, but only a grade ahead thanks to homeschooling. Anyway, my awesome mom became my cruising friend. She helped a daughter out.

That's right. I had no wheels of my own, so on the way home from church my awesome mom would do drive-bys past his house. It was fun sometimes to see his car at home, but other times she'd drive really slow and shout, "Is he home!?"

Thank goodness for my mom. I'm way too apathetic and lazy now to ever do something like that on my own,  but it was fun when I was 15.

Happy Mother's Day to my sweet, weird, funny mom who has cooking, baking, and sewing skills that I look forward to every time I go home!

Blogging the depths of the abyss, 
[a]

2 comments:

  1. That story made me smile. What a "cool mom" thing to do. :D

    That reminds me of something my mom did when I was in high school. There was this guy who she found out I liked. Well, one day she had to talk to the principal about putting me in a lower math class (due to my great lack of mathematical skills). The principal let my mom see the roster of each pre-Algebra class that was available for me to go into so that she could decide which one I'd be more comfortable in. She spotted my crush's name one of the lists, and immediately said "That one!" She was very proud of herself for putting me in that class. I was mortified at the time, but looking back I think it's pretty hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I love it =) I think my mom would have done the same, giggling to herself later of course.

      Delete

I like the way you think.